Friday, September 24, 2010

HO Week 5 (9/24) - Calling

What Do My Friends Say?

Last fall I sent a short survey to two of my girlfriends, my mom, and two women who have basically mentored me. I asked them what I was passionate about, what I was good at, and what they could see me doing/being in ten years. Their answers encouraged me, though I found some a bit surprising.

I wasn't surprised by the answers to the first question. All five mentioned my relationship with God as my primary passion, which is most certainly true.

Both of my girlfriends said I am good at listening to other people, which I found encouraging. Three people mentioned my communication skills (particularly writing) and my organizational skills. Both of those are things which I enjoy doing.

It was quite interesting to read the answers to the third question. Four of the people said they could see me as a wife/mother homeschooling my children. This is what I most want to do. I was rather surprised that two of the people said they could see me as a missionary. I wanted to be a missionary when I was little, but I hadn't thought about it in quite a while. Three of the people said they could see me as a teacher - something I hadn't really thought about beyond homeschooling my own children. The more I think about it, though, the more it does seem likely. I wouldn't teach at a public school (because I'm not getting a teaching degree), but I can certainly see myself teaching at a co-op someday. Some other ideas were that I might be an administrative assisstant or be writing articles using my journalism degree (perhaps involved in politics). I would love to do either of those things.

No comments:

Post a Comment