Sunday, March 23, 2014

To Walk Humbly

A little over a year ago, I took part in a labyrinth walk as part of the “Capstone” class at JBU. My intention of posting my writings from that class on this blog failed after about a month…but I wanted to go back and post the response I was asked to write about the labyrinth walk (edited a bit). This is because a couple weeks ago God put together several puzzle pieces in my life, including this experience from last March. To read more about the picture I saw take shape from the pieces, check out this post on my other blog.

A bit of background: The Capstone class primarily looked at six “streams” or traditions of Christian history/practice.[1] I’ll have to do a post some time with a bit about those. As part of our examinations into these types of orthopraxy,[2] we also had speakers come in or outside experiences. The latter included the labyrinth walk.

Labyrinth response                        written March 6, 2013
                I wasn’t quite sure what to expect from the labyrinth experience. To be honest, I was apprehensively looking forward to it. {The apprehension part came from preconceptions I had and opinions I had heard expressed about such things.}
                I am really glad you {Dr. Burch – a great teacher!} went over the idea of the labyrinth some on Wednesday before we went out there {on Sunday, March 3}. I had expected it to be more structured, for Ben Hill {the homeowner who had built a labyrinth in his yard} to give us more specific “how to” suggestions so we would do it the right way. Of course, looking back, I realize that idea deals with one of my misconceptions…that things such as this are some sort of magic charm that you go through the right steps and get the perfect result. It makes sense that he did not give us specific guidelines, because this is more of a personal experience. At the same time, I appreciated the basic suggestion you had given us about going in with our hands closed and coming out with them open.
                Going into the experience, I had a good bit on my mind. On Thursday, I had a very low-point, sad experience and a more exciting, happy occurrence. With the former, there were questions of “why did this have to happen this way???” and with the latter, there were questions of “how will this application turn out? Will I get the internship that seems so perfect to me?” I knew that in both, God had a plan and had His reasons, even if I couldn’t see or understand them. But I always tend to question why—I always want to know what it is that will happen.
                So that’s what I was holding onto as I entered the labyrinth. God has been asking me a simple question over and over throughout the past year and a half or so: “Do you trust Me?” Usually my mind jumps to the “yes” answer, and then I try to align my emotions to that truth. But at other times I honestly have to say “no,” and then try to surrender whatever it is that I am trying to hold onto control of.
During the first few minutes {of the labyrinth walk} I was thinking through all of that. Then a verse “just happened” to pop into my mind: “What does the Lord require of you? But to do justice, to love mercy, and to walk humbly before your God” (the Esther paraphrase). My mind latched onto the “walk humbly” bit, wondering what that really meant in practicality. I continued thinking about other things, and then suddenly right as I was making one of the turns I nearly stood stock still – because the truth of that really struck me.
Thinking that I deserve to know why things happen the way they do—or wanting so badly to know what will happen ahead of time—is a sign of pride. God calls us to walk humbly before Him – that includes trusting Him and surrendering our “right” to know why and our ideal plans and dreams.
For most of the rest of the walk in, I was reflecting on that and confessing the sin of pride that I hadn’t really recognized before then. In the center—and then coming back out—I mostly prayed for the willingness to learn more of Christ’s humility. And I was able to just spend some time worshipping too, singing songs of praise in my mind. As I neared the exit, another thought came… “This is not the end goal, this is simply the preparation.” The fact is, I don’t know what’s going to happen in my life. What I do know is that God is transforming me to fulfill His purposes. And I truly am thankful that He’s the one in charge of all that and not me!

~~~~

So so true! And still such a lesson I need to be taken back to and reminded of over and over again….




[1] The six, in the order we covered them in class, are: Contemplative {think monks/meditation}, Holiness {think Methodists}, Charismatic {obvious}, Social Justice {think “liberal”…to some extent}, Evangelical {what I considered “the best”/“mainstream” five years ago}, and Incarnational {think Episcopal}.
[2] “Orthopraxy” has to do with what a group of people views as correct religious practices. It can be compared/contrasted with “orthodoxy” – what a group of people views as correct religious beliefs.

No comments:

Post a Comment